Malabsorption occurs when the nutrients are not properly extracted and absorbed from food during the digestion process or by the gastrointestinal tract.
This can result in a deficiency of vitamins, proteins, minerals, carbohydrates, and other nutrients that are important for the growth and regulation of the body system.
Principle of Diet for Malabsorption:
A high-calorie, high-protein, low-fat, low-fiber, simple carbohydrates, high vitamins, and minerals should be provided.
- A small peptide-based diet may be beneficial. Smooth and soft foods avoiding irritating roughage should be given.
- In some cases, life-long avoidances of particular food or food constituents may be needed in celiac disease or lactose intolerance
- Easily digested sugars should be provided in the diet through fruits and vegetables.
- Very spicy food should be avoided.
- Supplements of vitamins and iron should be given. Iron supplements should be provided in the form of tablets.
Foods to be included in the Malabsorption diet:
Milk, buttermilk, lean meat( trimmed well of fat), eggs, fish, corn, rice, buckwheat, pancakes, muffins, potatoes, cornmeal, fruit juices etc can be given.
Foods to be avoided for Malabsorption diet:
Malted milk, fatty meals, wheat, rye, oats, barley, and other products containing this cereal, as they are not tolerated in some cases, noodles, macaroni, spaghetti, soups, and sauces prepared with gluten flour, wheat rye, etc should be avoided.
In the case of lactose intolerance, lactose-containing foods should be avoided. Especially milk and milk products should be avoided as they contain lactose.
Diet Chart for Malabsorption:
This sample diet chart for malabsorption provides an idea about what to eat , consult expert dietitians online and your personal diet plan about malabsorption
|Early morning||Coconut water||1 Glass|
|Ragi malt||1 Glass|
|Dhal soup||1 Serving|
|Potato curry||1 Katori|
|Tea time||Apple||1 no.|
|Tomato dhal||1 Katori|
|Brinjal curry||1 Katori|
|Egg white||1 no.|
|Bed-time||Orange juice||1 Glass|
Thanks for reading this information. To stay healthy we follow always a good diet, exercise, and personal hygiene
For more information about Diet Contact us on WhatsApp: 9398601060